My first household job was to unload the clean silverware from the dishwasher. I was probably only 3 or 4 and I took my responsibility very seriously. In fact, I would get very upset if I found out that someone had unloaded the silverware without me. I grew out of that. Now I'll accept any help with the dishes that is offered.
Doug's first chore that he remembers was turning on and off the sprinklers. He was responsible for making sure that all of the lawn got watered. Brown spots were to be watered by hand. Beyond that he loved the vacuum as a child and was always happy to help with that task.
Rachel loves to help unload the dishwasher. It is not assigned to her...yet. But she absolutely loves to be involved. Every time she hands a dish to her dad she says, "thank you." It's really too bad that the video camera didn't pick it up. I hope her interest in helping lasts a lifetime.
What was your first chore? What chores do you ask your kids to do? What ages?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ovu47CMZZI
This video is so perfect! How I wish I had one of you, Jessica, emptying the silverware! Thanks for the precious look into Rachel's happy day.
ReplyDeleteLove to you all!!!!! Mom
I love that you added that song to the video. SO cute! What a great helper. Dishes were always a chore I helped with.
ReplyDeleteI love that you added that song from Enchanted. My kids are huge helpers right now. Sometimes I catch myself doing things when I know they are occupied just so I can get it done faster. I'm glad they like to help though. I hope it continues as well. Brooklyn's "job" is to clear the table. However, she loves to vacuum her room, do dishes, put them away, clean toilets. She loves to help do anything. I should let her help more. And right now Eliza's job is to set the table though some days she just doesn't want to. She loves to sweep the floor too.
ReplyDeleteMy girls loved helping when they were younger. Now it's more of a bribe to get them to help me. She is so cute!
ReplyDeleteHelping make my parent's bed - my mom would make it and I'd pat pat pat all the wrinkles out. I think I was very very young. I can't believe I remember it.
ReplyDeleteSo I am a slave driver, I've decided! Teaching my children to clean-up after themselves has been really important to me. Since Grace was big enough to drag toys out of her room or a basket in the living room, I have treated her as though she is big enough to return those same items to where they came from. She was just tiny when she started cleaning after herself, of course, she had a lot of help from me, but she's been a good little cleaner all her life...my mom was the same with us, she had us doing chores the minute we were tall enough, strong enough, and able bodied enough to make the mess. Prepared us well for keeping our own home...I hated it then, now I'm a fan.
ReplyDelete