She loves the books and reads them most every day.

We bought her a baby boy doll so she can practice being a big sister. We rock him, hug him, feed him and love him.
We've also been teaching her how to help with tasks around the house. She's been practicing letting the dog in, shutting doors and drawers, putting toys and books away, getting diapers, moving laundry from the washer to the dryer and then to the basket, and how and when to climb.
I still worry about how this transition is going to affect her. Mostly I worry about how she and I are going to survive being separated for 4 days. My little sweet pea and I haven't spent more than 18 hours apart in her almost 2 years of life. It is comforting to me that my mom and sister will be here with her. Doug will be shuttling her back and forth to help her feel included.
I think we've given her every chance to become acquainted with the idea of being a big sister. Now only time will tell. I think she is going to love it. Either way her new role begins on Monday.
When I was expecting my 3rd I just loved watching my daughter carry around her baby doll and just as I said to someone that she is going to be a great big sister, she saw a different toy and tossed the baby doll down the stairs!! I was terrified after that but all of the kids have survived their older siblings. Well, so far at least! I think Rachel will be great big sister! Congrats again!
ReplyDeleteIt will be harder on you (or at least it was the guilt that got me) than it will be for her. Pretty soon, she won't remember the time before little Joseph. You have prepared her every possible way and she will do wonderful. Best of luck tomorrow and the rest of the week. Can't wait to meet that little guy! Let us know when all family has gone and you need some companionship- Camberlyn and Rachel can play and I can visit with you and Joseph.
ReplyDeleteCarter was only 19 months old when I had Owen. I worried and fretted about making him grow up too soon and I wondered how gentle he would be. The first time he met Owen he just wanted to touch his hands and feet and he was instantly in LOVE with him. When they where in the car he would always have to be holding his foot or hand up until the time Owen moved into a big car seat and we put a space in the middle of them for logistics purposes. I don't exaggerate when I say they are truly best friends. Carter can't remember a time without Owen, and he doesn't seem to mind. I hope the transition goes well for you, the hardest thing for me was grocery shopping with two when Carter wasn't old enough to walk on his own, and little tasks like that. Going out was a major operation with the double stroller and both of them so young, but it got easier. I'm so excited for you! I'm sure your little Rachel will do great, she seems like such a sweetie, she'll probably love her new baby brother to pieces!
ReplyDeleteRachel is going to do great! She is going to love having a little buddy (after he grows up a bit of course).
ReplyDelete