Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Day

I enjoy how each holiday our family and our traditions become a little more defined.  As Valentine's Day approached Doug and I took a look at what we felt was important for our family.  We decided that the majority of the valentine festivities would have more to do with the parents than with the children.  However, we decided that giving valentines to each member of the family would help us all remember the love we have for each other.  We also thought that one small gift from the parents to each child would be appropriate.
 

We decided that the kids' gift(s) would be inexpensive and  perishable.  Rachel's valentine gift, a balloon, was just that.  She loves it.  She plays with it.  And, eventually, it will end up in the garbage.  We don't need a giant stuffed dog clutching a heart cluttering up her room.  This holiday it really is the thought that counts. 
 

On Valentine's Day, Rachel spent a great deal of time chasing Zoe around with the balloon.  Zoe was petrified.



More perishable, and yummy, valentine treats to celebrate the day.


I fixed a special valentine lunch for Rachel.  I was thrilled by my little heart grilled cheese sandwiches.  Rachel was excited that she got pedialyte with her lunch.  It is a rare treat.  The cute little red velvet cupcakes came from a neighbor.  It was so nice of them to make us feel loved on this special day.


Rachel and I made special valentines with her hand prints for her grandparents and her dad.  She was fascinated when Doug opened his valentine and she saw her hand prints again.  She touched the card then looked at her hands, turning them over to see if the ink was there.
 

Her love of books easily translates to cards.  She was happy to get a valentine of her own.

 

I went out on a romantic limb and gave Doug season 13 of the Simpsons.  Doug bought me some beautiful roses and white tulips.   He was the first man to ever buy me roses.  It makes them extra special to me now.  He also surprised me with Cumming's chocolate covered strawberries.  YUM! 
 

Grandma and Grandpa Goodwin came up and babysat Rachel so that Doug and I could have a night out.  Sometimes I forget how nice that alone time can be.  We had dinner at the Olive Garden.  During the 80 minute wait we went and scouted out tile and faucets at Lowe's.  It was almost completely deserted.  But there we were holding hands in our matching red shirts.  The shirts were an accident but were cute and sappy nonetheless.

Valentine aftermath came in the form of really high blood sugar levels that kept me up all night.  And then there was the back that didn't want to forgive me for all of the activity.  But my favorite residual valentine is that the tulips keep growing.  It's been amazing to watch.

Thank you Doug for a wonderful Valentine's Day!  It took us a long time to find each other.  But, I would wait a hundred years more to find you again.

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of something simple and perishable- yes, no more clutter. Especially just after Christmas. We usually just give our kids a little something that is sitting for them when they come down to eat breakfast- this year it just happened to be clearance winter/valentines pj pants. Not so perishable though. :) It looks like you had a wonderful day of love. The flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful memory. Thank you for sharing Valentine's Day with me. You had a perfectly wonderful day. The pictures, all of them are fantastic!! I didn't remember it until night. David and I decided to celebrate it tomorrow and go to the Temple. Melinda is going with us. We enjoy the Temple so much. Getting excited about the trip to Utah and the new baby. Can't wait to see you all again.
    All my love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, I think pajama pants could be considered perishable. It might be a little stretch but they will wear out eventually. Or they will end up going to charity when the kids grow out of them. Perishable or not, pajamas are a necessity of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Zoe. :) Pretty funny, though.
    How nice that you & Doug got some good alone time in before the baby comes and everyone is too tired to function!
    I concur on the stuffed animal! In all fairness, I'm pretty anti-stuffed animal anyway. I swear, they multiply when your back is turned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you made it so simple. We were simple this year. I agree, after all of the Christmas gifts I just don't need anything else to clutter my house with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a super fun and love-filled day. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete